Ear & Body Piercing/Hypertrophic scarring

Hypertrophic scarring
Hypertrophic scarring  
Hi, I have really stubborn hypertropic scarring on a cartilage piercing. I have tried salt water, hot compresses, tea tree oil and even chamomile tea but cannot get rid of it. What else can I try?
I have attached an image.

Hello Kim,
The scar you have seems to have stabilized, meaning that the damage done to the area has thickened the tissue in a way that home treatments are not always effective for. My first suggestion is to see a dermatologist, who can provide you with options. My second suggestion would be a scar reduction product found at your pharmacy such as silicone sheeting or gel treatment, which can take weeks to show results, but some clients have had success with. is one option.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and