Ear & Body Piercing/My New Cheek Piercing

So 4 days ago I got my cheeks pierced dimple style. And the first day everything was dandy and I loved them so much. But the minute I woke up on the second day my entire bottom half of my face swelled really big so I took more ibuprofen and applied ice, only to have the swelling go down a very little. Then it started leaking the same thick whitesish stuff my spider bites had down and soon the swelling engulfed the jewelry in my cheek. It is causing serious pain and just sitting here at 4 in the morning wait for the piercing shop to open at noon so I can get a larger bar sounds like it will kill me. I have been following cleaning steps and I am using Tea Tree Oil. Should it be swelling this much?

Cheek piercings can swell very much, depending on placement. A very long bar is needed to start with, and multiple steps to downsize. I suggest that you remove the jewelry immediately, and try again at a later date with appropriately long jewelry if your piercer is not available. Here is some detail from my colleagues:

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and