Ear & Body Piercing/New Earlobe Piercing

I got my first piercing on my earlobe yesterday and I'm wondering if I made a mistake. From what I've heard, newly pierced ears require some sort of starter stud, but I was told that the small gold hoop I had would suffice. So, I used that. Now I'm scared that the piercing won't heal properly or might even get infected. Will I be fine if I leave the small hoop in? Or should I change it out quickly for an actual starter stud?
The piercing is pretty small and hugs my earlobe, so I'm not worried about it snagging on anything.
It's the second day and there's still TINY amounts of blood coming out whenever I clean it or try to move the piercing.
Swelling is also still present.

At two days, you might be doing just fine. People can heal with rings, even if it may not always be the best choice for the anatomy. Don't move the jewelry, since that is like picking a scab.

The correct jewelry shape, size, proportion, material and surface smoothness all are necessary for optimal healing. A post tends to move less than a ring for healing, and may generate less thickened scar tissue. can help with your aftercare process, and about the jewelry standards.  

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and