Ear & Body Piercing/Longer Bar for a Lip Ring

I have had my lip pierced for awhile. I can only use hoops because the standard lip rings sold at Walmart, Hot Topic, and Spencers have to short of a stud/straight bar. I have a 16 gauged lip ring. What is the longest lip ring stud I could get? The starter lip ring for my HUGE lips was perfect. It was 16 gauged but I don't know what millimeter in length it was. Could you tell me?

I am trying to buy one off of

Hello Beth,

Please don't buy your jewelry online if at all possible. There is no safe body jewelry on Amazon that I have seen. My colleagues at are professional piercers who will help you estimate the correct size, however this needs to be done in person for a perfect fit.

Where are you in PA? I can refer you to a qualified professional in your area to measure and fit your piercing with the appropriate size and quality of jewelry.

This sort of thing should be done to ensure that you avoid tooth and gum erosion, as well as to avoid developing a sensitivity to jewelry materials.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and