Ear & Body Piercing/nose piercing weeping after four weeks??

so I got my nose pierced on the 19th of august, so about 4 weeks ago. I clean it, I make sure I clean it in the shower with hot water.
this morning it hurt a little, it still hurts now and I looked at it and there was like a white goo around the edges, I cleaned it off with some hot water and then ran my nose under the tap, its never done this before.
also it get a little itchy sometimes, my mum told me it only itches if its healing.
I haven't changed the stud anddd about 3 days ago, something got up my nose and I tried to get it out and accidently ripped the stud half way through my skin, so it didn't actually fall out. I managed to push it back through but it bled a little and I did clean it with hot water and a tissue

am I doing something wrong?
is it infected?
will I have to take it out?
is there anything I should be doing?
should I go back to the piercer?
should I be worried??
sorry about all the questions. I worry a lot!

Don\'t panic
Don't panic  
I tried to answer your questions holistically, since it mostly comes back to the point that I would strongly suggest that you return to see the piercer for a consultation. Some of what you ask should be directed towards your healthcare provider, rather than a piercer. See your piercer in person to consult about how to improve your healing and possibly upgrade your jewelry to a piece less likely to get injured again.

If you provide a photo and clear description of the jewelry material and brand if you know, that could help.

Your questions:
1> am I doing something wrong?
Probably not anything crucial, but you could likely improve the way you care for it, and perhaps the fit and quality of the jewelry. The links for simple, gentle care that I provided should help you protect it a bit better than the care instructions you may have been given.

2> is it infected?
Your healthcare provider should be determine this by taking a culture. From your description, it could be irritated, and or infected. Heat, redness, swelling, pain and or discolored discharge are the most common signs of infection.

3> will I have to take it out?
Probably not. See your piercer about this.

4> is there anything I should be doing?
Assess the jewelry fit and quality, and reevaluate your care process. There is always something you can improve.

5> should I go back to the piercer?
Yes. Most piercers offer free consultations and follow up visits. A professional wants you to heal well and come back if you have any issues.

6> should I be worried??
Be reasonably concerned about your well-being and wound care, and of the quality of the jewelry. Don't panic.

Often a piercing done with slightly irritating material like an alloy of gold, copper, silver and trace metals such as you mention can prevent complete healing. Switch to an implant certified piece of titanium jewelry can explain more about selecting a safe piece.

Other notable cofactors the irritation could be related to:
*facial products you use; chemical or particulate irritation
*the shape and size of the jewelry; a piece out of proportion to your nostril
*a piercing done out of perpendicularity can abscess -|-
*mechanical friction/motion of the jewelry; moving it around too much
*sleeping on the piercing; putting pressure on the jewelry
*tap water; fluid causing ulceration of the wound bed

Stop by for a free consultation if you are in the area. See your piercer for options if you can.
We can send you an appropriate, attractive piece of jewelry if you can not make it in. has safe options if you are from afar.

In the meantime, try to follow simple sensible care described at with frequent use of hot compresses.

Some people in your situation have success with a judicious application of antiseptic or antibiotic products at this point. Others try to focus on great nutrition [like a balanced diet with additional garlic, vitamin C and minerals like zinc] and apply a dry hot compress [such as a cup of your favorite hot liquid, a heat pad set to medium or a hot washcloth in a Ziploc bag for ten-fifteen minutes once an hour up to bedtime] to increase circulation and build immune response. Make sure to put something absorbent such as a gauze pad or tissue in between you and the compress to keep it from getting sweaty.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and