Ear & Body Piercing/Re-piercing my Ears

My ears were pierced crooked with a gun. Whenever I wear earrings my ears are inflamed with in a few hours. I have been tested by a dermatologist and I am not allergic to Nickel or Zinc. I also have a body piercing that I don't have any issues with. I have done a lot of reading and I am wondering if maybe I should get them re-pierced using the proper technique. Many of the articles that I have read mention that the body considers gun piercings blunt trauma and is constantly working to repair the wound. I spoke with another piercer and she mentioned that I should leave out earrings for 2 months and come back and get them re-pierced with 14 gauge. Once healed I would let them shrink back down to 18/20 gauge. What are your thoughts and do you think they will shrink back down without ugly scars?

From what you describe, the jewelry may not be smooth enough, may be contaminated, or may not be a suitable material for your healing process to resolve properly.

Consider to have a qualified professional piercer gently insert appropriate smooth jewelry in the existing size, probably 18g, and existing openings unless they are crooked. Let them get well and stabilize.

Where are you located? and I can help you find a capable piercer with good jewelry.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and