Ear & Body Piercing/New Ear Piercings with White Rings

Right ear
Right ear  

Left ear
Left ear  
I re-pierced my ears about three days ago or so at home. (obviously a terrible mistake, and I'm paying for my stupidity) My ears have been extremely sore and sensitive since then, which I expected. About the second day after I pierced them they formed white rings around them, which I thought was just a natural "crusty" from healing. There is no puss, and it's extremely hard. I have tried many times to remove the white rings, but they wont come off. I'm terrified the skin is dead. How do I proceed? I have been cleaning them with witch hazel and rubbing alcohol, along with salt water.

Can you visit a qualified professional to have them checked? It is difficult to tell from the photos, but it seems your aftercare would cause additional damage such as this. The jewelry may also be part of the problem. has a list and mapnof my colleagues worldwide. should be able to help. No more alcohol or witch hazel.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and