Ear & Body Piercing/Healing bellybutton piercing.

Internally threaded 1/2 bar
Internally threaded 1/  

No jewelry
No jewelry  
I pierced my bellybutton on Jan 12th. Painless process, although long. I know self piercing is frowned upon, however I plan on doing this as a living and I have pierced my septum and tongue web (underneath). I decided to do my bellybutton. I had to use unnecessary force with my needle (this did not hurt, it was just annoying) my needle was a 13g. It wouldn't go all the way through and I didn't want to experience the "pop". Sooooo.. I took another needle and pokes up to the first needle. (I pierced downward, like if standing.. Pushed needle towards my feet) this did not hurt. I put the jewelry in and it was fine. I do salt water soaks a few times a week or use it to get off "crusties" with a q-tip. The top hole became very red and stayed red, eventually the ball would sort of embed itself in my skin. It wasn't took bad. I believe this was due to piercing more skin than a standard 3/8 bar would fit properly. I ordered a 1/2 bar, which is wayyyyy more comfortable and there is no issues with embedment now. I've had the longer bar in about 1 &1/2 weeks and the redness has gone away a lot but it is still red a little. I was looking for a bit of advise on what I can do to allow it to heal nicely. I also attached reference picture.
Looking forward to a response

Hi Brittany,
This navel shape is not always conducive to a piercing. It would be best to have it checked by a qualified professional. can help you locate a colleague of mine with APP safety standards.

It may be possible with lighter, longer, thicker jewelry by an experienced professional, but that does not appear to be the case from your photos.

In the meantime, if you are interested in learning more can help.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and