Ear & Body Piercing/Trouble with my nipple piercing

inflamed vs. not
inflamed vs. not  
To start I'd like to say I've only had these piercings for a month and a half or so. I clean them twice a day with saline solution. My right nipple is no longer tender and seems to be on track for healing. However the left has become extremely sore and slightly inflamed, and is also producing what seems to be an excessive amount of yellow/white pus. It is not extremely red, but has swollen to the point of feeling hard under the surface. The pain is constant and almost like a burning sensation. I removed the jewelry because the pain had gotten to where it was keeping me from sleep. However, even after jewelry removal it has continued, with no relief. What should I do? Nothing as of yet has reduced the swelling.

See your healthcare provider right away, as damage or infection to the area could lead to mastitis and abscess. Frequent hot compresses in the meantime should help soothe the site. Have the jewelry sterilized and reinserted carefully by your piercer, if possible, to facilitate drainage.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and