Ear & Body Piercing/Thickened cartilage

I have had my helix pierced for about one month now and all has gone really well. It is almost totally painless, no crusting and I can sleep on it etc. however the bear unscrewed the other morning when I was cleaning it and fell out. I put it back no problem but found that the cartilage is noticeably thicker than it was previously. I can't put this down to infection as there is no heat and it's not painful. Any ideas why or how I can reduce this? Thanks

Ear cartilage can be damaged in ways that result in thicker regrowth. If the perichondrium is torn, there is a greater probability of abscess. It may just be swelling due to continued healing if this does not seem to be the case, and you do not experience other signs of infection such as heat, pain, discolored discharge, or redness.

Maintained aftercare is required until you have finished healing, which will take several more months.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and