Ear & Body Piercing/Having trouble healing

Hi, I got my daith piercing done about 2 months ago and I am not sure if it is healing properly. Recently it has been bleeding and throbbing a lot and it is extremely painful if I lay down or put even the smallest amount of pressure on it. This all started within the past week. Is this normal? I know several people who have had these done and haven't had this happen. Also, could it be because I have a ring instead of a bar? Please help. It is driving me insane.

Hi Ashley, It is not the ring shape in this case causing trouble, it seems like it could be infected. Seek medical attention immediately, and see your piercer for a checkup. Heat, swelling, redness, pain, and discharge can all be signs of infection.

In the meantime, please try gentle care as described at

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and