Ear & Body Piercing/Industrial piercing

Hello I want to get an industrial piercing but the issue is I am a big athlete and would need to take out the very noticeable bar. I have 5 piercings in my ears (2 in my left 3 in my right and I want to get the bar in my left) and I have been using clear plastic earings for 3 of those piercings (two of them don't need it they won't close). They work well in being hidden from the stupid refs who always make me take them out and keep my holes from beginning to close like they have in the past. Now I really want to get the bar and I know I need to let it heal for a long time but I will be forced to take it out. So, my question is, could I get my ear pierced with a clear industrial bar (or retainer I believe they are called) and use that until it heals then put a regular bar in and out? The issue is I need something that isn't noticible and Ill be able to keep in to let heal. If you know of anywhere to get high quality clear bars to use for my initial piercing that is barely noticeable especially up close that would be great! Thanks.

In my experience, plastic options for healing are not usually without their disadvantages, scarring and prolonged healing plus additional infection risk from surface imperfections rule them out for use in my practice. We do use some fused quartz retainers, which are a hard clear glass, but find that anodized titanium in as close a match to your skin tone, with minimal flat ends seems least obtrusive, and easily bandaged or camouflaged further with a bit of concealer if needed.

Connected ear cartilage piercings with a single bar are notoriously slow healing, and sensitive to damage from impact or jewelry change when healing. With careful planning and aftercare, it may be possible to pierce with two separate pieces of jewelry and then connect them with a bar when they are fully healed.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and