Ear & Body Piercing/Very infected belly button piercing ??? :((

Hello I'm really really scared and I don't know what to do!!
About 3 months ago I got my belly button pierced. Everything seemed fine up until the second month where the bottom hole of my belly ring began to grow a reddish bump, it was soft and it didn't hurt at all. One day the hole seemed to have opened a tiny bit and blood started coming out of it, I cleaned it well and then it closed up. About a week ago I decided to change my belly ring jewelry (I know very stupid idea). The next day my belly button was very swollen and a lot of puss was coming out, I was so scared that I then took out the new ring that I had on (it was very tight and short) and put in the original ring I got pierced with because it was longer. I noticed that the "bump" or "bubble" that had grown next to my belly button hole on the bottom had opened and now the bottom hole of my belly ring is very wide, I can see my flesh through is and it pusses a lot more than before. I have cleaned it as much as I can bu I'm very scared and I don't know what to do. Should I continue cleaning it with sea salt soaks and tea tree oil to heal it or should I just take out my ring to close it up? Please please help
Btw it doesn't seem like my skin is rejecting it because the skin between the holes isn't getting smaller

See your healthcare provider if it does not clear up right away.

Apart from the strong possibility that the piercing was damaged when you changed it, there are some other issues to consider:

Often a piercing done at an angle to the tissue other than perpendicular, or with a slightly irritating shape or material like steel or an alloy of gold (usually including copper, silver and trace metals) can cause irritation and prevent complete healing. You can have a qualified professional switch it to an implant certified piece of anodized titanium jewelry for better success. can explain more about selecting a safe piece.

Other notable cofactors the irritation could be related to:
*cleaning products you use; chemical or particulate irritation
*the shape and size of the jewelry; a piece out of proportion to your body
*mechanical friction/motion of the jewelry; moving it around too much
*sleeping on the piercing; putting pressure on the jewelry
*tap water/moisture not dried off completely; fluid causing ulceration of the wound bed

>> The shape, friction and your sleeping habits could be the big issues, and for this reason I avoid overly loose fitted or ring shaped jewelry for healing most piercings.

Stop by for a free consultation if you are in the area, or let me know where you are so that I may refer you to someone qualified nearby to take a look at it.

I can refer you to colleagues at who can provide you an appropriate, attractive piece of jewelry if you can not make it in.

In the meantime, try to follow gentle protective care described at and
See your physician or dermatologist if symptoms get worse or do not clear up in the next few days. This could be an infection from streptococcus pyogenes or other germs.

I do not suggest any of the common home remedies [tea tree oil, vitamin E or aspirin paste] because they are either useless or can make it worse. Some people in your situation have success with a judicious application of antiseptic or antibiotic products at this point. Others try to focus on great nutrition [like a balanced diet with additional garlic, vitamin C and minerals like zinc]

What seems to help the most and harm the least is gentle care as mentioned above and to apply a dry hot compress such as a heat pad set to medium or a hot washcloth in a Ziploc bag for a period of ten to fifteen minutes as frequently as once an hour up to bedtime, to increase circulation and build immune response. Make sure to put something absorbent such as sterile gauze in between you and the compress for a clean barrier.

It may disappear as quickly as overnight if the irritation or infection is dealt with, or it could take a few days.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and