Ear & Body Piercing/Lip infection?

I just got my bottom right lip pierced on June 25.My lip ring fell out so I had to put a different one in.It's still red and now white pus is coming out and I asked my piercer if was infected and he said no but that was before pus came out so I'm just curious is it infected?

Please see your healthcare provider if you experience signs of infection: excessive heat, swelling, pain, redness, discolored discharge.

For future reference, you should bring any of the parts you can find of your jewelry to your piercer to be sterilized and reinserted. Don't do it yourself while healing.

During healing, there are white to off white secretions normally.

Try the gentle care suggested by my studio to soothe the area http://www.piercingexp.com/faq/aftercare.html

How should I care for my piercing?

Read about how to take care of your piercing so it heals quickly and easily. Also find out what NOT to do.

General Aftercare
What to do:
Be healthy
The healthier you are, the faster you heal. If your diet is less than ideal, consider taking a multi-vitamin.
Keep it dry
Water rinses dirt and germs from other areas and can water-log your piercing, making it more susceptible to damage. For showers, cover with a plastic cup and keep that area out of the spray as much as possible. For nipple or navel piercings, TEGADERM™ or other occlusive bandages can be used to seal your piercing (a must if you swim with an unhealed piercing).
Rinse with sterile wound wash saline
Sweat and dirt can be blasted off with sterile wound wash saline (comes in a spray can to stay sterile). Dry thoroughly with sterile non-woven gauze. This keeps salt residue from building up. Brand isn't as important, but make sure to use isotonic (0.9%) saline with NO additives.

Wash with mild soap, only as needed
Use a mild soap such as a fragrance-free castille (ie Dr Bronner's baby mild) to wash your piercing if it gets dirty/sweaty/touched/etc. Rinse with distilled water or sterile wound wash saline, and dry with something disposable like sterile gauze.

Sooth with a cold compresses
To ease discomfort and swelling, apply a cold dry compress to your piercing for 5-10 minutes intervals. Protect your piercing with a clean piece of sterile gauze.

Use hot compresses
Use a heating pad or hot water bottle for 5-10 minutes to increase circulation. Protect your piercing with a clean piece of sterile gauze. If you’re experiencing swelling, use cold instead.

Get a checkup
As pros, we can help with potential problems and let you know how much longer your healing process should take. Some piercings also benefit from downsizing jewelry during healing.

Let us know if you have questions or concerns
If anything isn't clear, feel free to call or email! We're here to help you through the healing process. Please let us know if your piercing hurts, has excessive swelling, or anything unexpected. We can offer advice to get things back on track.
What NOT to do:
DON'T Touch it
The main causes of infection are dirty fingers and dirty fluids. Keep both your and your friends fingers away.
DON'T Soak it
This will introduce bacteria and irritating chemicals, and waterlog your piercing. Waterlogged skin is more delicate and susceptible to damage. Soaking has never been shown to improve the healing process.
DON'T Use cotton balls or swabs
These products can leave irritating lint on and around your piercing and easily snag on your jewelry. Use non- woven sterile gauze instead.
DON'T Mess with it
DO NOT twist/turn the jewelry - it’s irritating, like picking a scab. If you notice a build-up of material on your jewelry - and the build-up is not attached to your skin - you can gently brush it off the jewelry with DRY sterile gauze.
DON'T Use harsh chemicals
No alcohol, peroxide, antibacterial soap, or ointments. DO NOT use moisturizing soaps like Dove and Olay or antibacterials like Dial. These soap additives leave a residue that builds up in piercing and can contribute to irritation bumps.
DON'T Sleep on it
Sleeping on piercings reduces circulation, delaying healing and causing swelling. The pressure may cause piercings to migrate or change their angle.
DON'T Take your jewelry out
If removed during the healing process, your piercing will close almost immediately. Once healed, it is safe to take your jewelry out long enough to change it, but not longer. As your piercing becomes more established, you’ll be able to leave it out for longer periods.This process can take a year or longer.

If you need to disguise your piercing for work, or need a non-metallic option for surgery, we can help.

Tips for Specific Piercings:
Ear cartilage (helix, tragus, front/forward helix, antihelix/rook, conch, daith, industrial, etc.) is especially susceptible to irritation from sleeping or banging it on something, and from chemicals like shampoo. It's critical to avoid this irritation while the piercing is healing, as this can cause swelling, discomfort, and prolonged healing. Cool compresses are helpful to get things back on track. Sleeping with your head elevated can also help reduce swelling.

Genital piercings don't require abstinence during the healing process, but protection is required. Use condoms, gloves, and dental dams to avoid infection. Avoid activities that hurt or cause discomfort while the piercing is still delicate and healing.

Nipple and navel piercings can be sealed with breathable, waterproof bandages such as Tegaderm™, or Bioclusive™. These bandages provide an optimal moist healing environment while protecting your piercing from bacteria and irritating chemicals. They are designed to be worn continually, and each individual bandage can last several days. These are a must if you plan to swim while your piercing is still healing.

Oral Aftercare (Lip & Tongue Piercings)
Keep it cold
The more ice you put on your piercing, the less swelling you get and the faster it goes away.

Rinse with bottled water
Anytime you eat or drink anything other than water, rinse your mouth with water until you don't taste anything. This removes food residue and helps keep the bacteria in your mouth to a minimum. It also has the nice side effect of keeping your breath fresher.

Brush your teeth with an electric toothbrush and water
Do not use toothpaste while your piercing is healing - the complex chemistry and gritty bits will cause more extreme and prolonged swelling. An electric toothbrush moves fast enough that it makes up for the lack of toothpaste.

Eat real food, just not stuff that hurts.
Living off baby food and oatmeal will only deprive you of the nutrition you need. You can eat normal food, just take small bites and chew slowly while you're getting used to your jewelry. The only things to avoid are spicy, acidic, really salty, and crunchy foods. These can irritate your piercing and make the swelling worse.

Protect yourself
Kissing, oral sex, or any other exposure to others body fluids is simply asking for an infection. Use a protective barrier like condoms or dental dams while you're healing.

Shorten your jewelry
After the swelling goes down, come in for a shorter post for your jewelry. Jewelry that fits flush will protect your teeth and gums from damage and just looks and feels better.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), http://brnskll.com/ and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products http://statim.us/

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA http://www.piercing.org/ *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04(www.astm.org)and former Member AAMI (www.aami.org) Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade(www.safepiercing.org) teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. http://statim.us/ and http://piercers.com/