Ear & Body Piercing/White fluid from ear piercing

I got both my ears pierced almost a year ago and have never had any problem with them. A couple of weeks ago, my right piercing became a little itchy and I remember scratching it quite a bit, but not enough for it to bleed. Then this crust formed over the hole. The crust is yellow and is made from some milky white/clear liquid coming out of the piercing. It doesn't hurt or itch and is not red or swollen. The liquid comes out constantly but stopped when I took out the earring.I have rinsed both the earring and the piercing hole with saline solution but it continues to flow out when I put the earring back inside. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Hello Cindy,
The piercing may have been irritated by a rough jewelry change, or a chemical reaction with hair or facial products and your jewelry. Pay attention to it for other signs of infection : heat, redness, swelling, pain, discolored discharge, and keep it clean and protected from further irritation. can explain more.

Additionally, you may be sensitized to your jewelry by overexposure. Consider wearing another safe jewelry option such as titanium as described at

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and