Ear & Body Piercing/Navel piercing - questions at bottom of explanation

Hi there!
I'm in college and can't easily get to a piercing professional to ask in person, so I'm really hoping you can help.
I've had my navel piercing for a little over 5 years (taking in and out was never a problem), and I took it out about a week and a half ago.
Today, I went to put a regular stud navel ring back in (cleaned everything with alcohol wipes), and doing the normal wiggling  I have to to get it back in, I felt a little painful pinch, then saw the top of the ring under translucent skin, but NOT the normal very thin layer that occurs when you've had it out for a little while. This was different - thicker - and it looked like it was lower than my top hole (but it may just be the angle I was pushing at???) There was a tiny amount of blood (I could see it on the alcohol wipe). Now, the skin between my top hole and belly button is red and raised (I'm almost positive this isn't a keloid??? Because I had a keloid next to my bottom hole when I first got it pierced).

**So basically, my questions are: 1. Did I create a new path for my navel ring (as in re-pierce a different location) by accident, OR is the top hole just more closed up than normal? 2. How do I get my navel ring back in?!
Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I can't find anything like this online, so I'm a little desperate.
Thank you so much for your time!

Hi Samantha,
A visit to your nearby qualified professional piercer is a good idea. has a list of my colleagues locations.

1. The inner lining of a piercing shrinks like an hourglass, and can be sectioned or punctured if the jewelry is rough. You probably tore this lining.

2. Reinsertion should be done by a professional with a tapered insertion guide and proper asepsis. Alcohol alone won't protect you from infection or disease.

It may be possible to do yourself easily again after your piercing stabilizes again, if you are provided with the matching tapered insertion guide by your piercer.

Ear & Body Piercing

Brian Skellie

I can answer questions in regards to and not limited to: jewelry safety, specifically material, shape, proportion, and related issues; aseptic technique and sterilization as it applies to piercing safety; ethical issues of technique and bedside manner; the aftercare and recovery process for piercings. *Available for consultation.

Body artist and founder of Piercing Experience (1992), and SciCan Authorized Dealer of STATIM Sterilizers and related infection control products

Currently serving on the APP Board of Directors as President, formerly as Global Media Director 2013-2014, International Liaison 2010-13, Treasurer 1997-99. Over fifteen years with ASTM and APP.

The Point Journal of the Association of Professional Piercers, USA Today, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Atlanta Magazine, Creative Loafing

I regularly participate and teach in many APP and related body art educational programs. I keep current certifications for OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, and CPR.

APP President's Award, Best Freehand Piercer, Best of Atlanta

Tens of thousands of one on one client experiences as the founder of Piercing Experience in Atlanta, GA, USA *Body jewelry design and safety expert: Member ASTM committee F04( former Member AAMI ( Research advisor and educator for the APP for over a decade( teaching advanced studio setup, sterilization and equipment management, freehand piercing, aseptic/sterile technique and much more. Distributor and Body Art expert for SciCan StatIM sterilization and infection control products. and