Early Childhood Education/interview sample sheet child’s parents

Question
Hi Cindy, I hope that you can help me.
I'm a volunteer centre and now my boss wants me to design an interview sample sheet and I don’t know how to do it, thanks for your time.
He said to me:
1) You have to design an interview sheet that you could use with any child’s parents from 3-6 years as a way of gathering information about their child. You will need to include questions about their child’s friends, favourite foods, toys, games, people, as well as their routines, habits and interests. Remember the aim of the interview is to gain as much information as possible about the child, their experiences, and their families expectations, anything that will let you get to know the child better.
When you are happy with your interview questions, carry out the interview with one of your chosen child’s parents. You will need to include both the questions and the answers you receive.

2) Over a few days, observe the child when he is engaged in both play and routine experiences. Record your information using the following methods. Provide at least:
One anecdotal record
One running record
One checklist with dated evidence, focusing on at least two areas of development.

Please ensure you head all written observations with the following background information:

Child’s first name:                Child’s date of birth:
Observer’s first name:          Date:
Setting:
Write a brief summary of what you have learnt about this child in these three observations.

3) If the child you have selected is old enough to understand, you should explain what you doing and ask for their permission.
Briefly write a short report on how you approached the child and how interacted with the child to get their cooperation in your project.

5) Using the child profile format below, list the child’s strengths, needs, and interests. Your comments need to be based on child development, and be specific to this individual child. child development
Now, based on the information you have gathered about the child’s development briefly tell me four play experiences that the child may enjoy.
Explain why the child will want to participate, and what development the activity will support or extend. These need to be clearly linked to the child’s profile you have completed.

Thank you for your help Cindy, I will appreciate that

Regard Emma
Email:  

Answer
Emma,

I do not approach kids by my own subjective views....my first piece of advice to you is that whatever you record regarding a child's development, let it be something that you personally observe..that is, everything that you document should be an observation. That is real measurement. For example, rather than write: Johnny can walk up steps. Try this: I saw Johnny walk up twelve steps today. He was carrying a book and did not hold on to the rail.

I hope you see the difference. Here is another. Avoid: Johnny is a happy child. Instead write: Johnny smiled today as he played with legos. He giggled with his friends and said "Look at what I made. It looks like a mountain with a man climbing on it."

As far as parent interview...this is how I would go:

What makes your child cry?

What makes your child laugh?

How does your child respond to new adults? New kids?

Did you discuss going to school or pre-k with your child?

Will you be willing to visit our center with your child for six hours (can be done in two hour shifts over a period of a few days)?

How does your child respond when you leave him/her?

Name three activities that you and your child do together.

Name three activities that your child does when he/she is alone.

Check out the Creative Curriculum..teachingstrategeis.com as they have the best assessment too.

Good luck.]

Cindy  

Early Childhood Education

Cindy Caporaso