Early Childhood Education/Observation forms for 18 months to 24 months

Hey Cindy,
I too am a preschool teacher to a class of 18 months to just over 2 years and am having trouble finding a good observation form for this age group. Do you know of any forms specific to this age? I found several for 2 to 2 1/2 but not much else.

Thank you very much!

Hi Caitlin,

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge supporter and fan of the Creative Curriculum at Teaching Strategies. They have an amazing assessment form in addition to observations forms. First, I will direct you to read this:

If possible, I would suggest that you get a copy of this wonderful book: The Power of Observation.

Here are sample forms:

You can of course, create your own observation form based on developmental milestone:

But here is the real important point. All observations must be objective and NOT subjective. In other words, only write what you see. Don't make additional comments such as "He seems happy today" or "She is sad." You don't really know that. You can write "Johnny cried for two minutest before resuming to put the puzzle together." Just be as specific as you can be with what you are seeing.

I do not work for Teaching Strategies but they have an amazing observation and assessment tool The great thing about this is that you only mark what you see (objectivity!) and as the child ages up, the form goes to the next classroom teacher who adds her observations during the child's time there.

Check it out...let me know what you come up with!!

Stay safe in the storm if it affects you. We got hit hard.

Cindy Caporaso

Early Childhood Education

Cindy Caporaso

I can answer questions in various areas of child development including ages and stages, how to foster growth in the development of young children, what to look for in early childhood centers and in early childhood providers. and ways to stimulate a child`s natural curiosity. I am fully versed in the Creative Curriculum and teach CDA for all age groups.

I have worked extensively in Early Childhood education leading extensive trainings for early childhood educators including the 120 hour National CDA program for both infant-toddler and preschool professionals. I have served in a variety of leadership roles throughout my career in early childhood, school-age and camp settings. in In my past role as a school-age child care Site Director, I planned, coordinated, and led activities for 40+ children. My responsibilities included the training and supervision of staff members. I also participated in the training, mentoring and supervision of high school students in an educational setting. Presently, I work in a faith based program as Director of Children's Ministries while continuing to work as a teacher in a school-age before and after school program.

I love to write. At this time, I have completed four faith-based children's books and hope to be published one day. My most recent work, titled "God's Table is For Me," is a rhyming pictorial book about Communion. Some of my original art ideas are included in "Primary Art" by MaryAnne F. Kohl.

I hold a B.A. degree in Education from Moravian College. My graduate work in Human Development and Community Counseling was completed at Lehigh University. Along with taking Theology classes at The Center for Lifelong Learning at the Drew Theological School, I completed a year long certificate program in Theology and Ministry at Princeton Theological Seminary.