Early Childhood Education/Early Education degrees

Question
I have two questions. The first is concerning the different degrees at various colleges for early education. My daughter (lives in western PA) is looing at colleges for early education. Some have K-4 others have K-3. Does this matter in picking a school? Didnt know if she went to a school that didnt include the 4th grade if that would eliminate her in the future from getting a potential job opening for a 4th grade teacher.

Her two final choices now are Ohio University (in Athens Ohio)and Duquense University in Pittsburgh. She most likely wants to teach in PA if possible. The question i have is will it hurt her to get her degree in Ohio vs in western pa? and doesn anyone have opinions on either school.
THAnkS!

Answer
Great question. I went to school and now hold a permanent certificate for Nursery-8th grade. Many schools offer that now. I would go for that, unless she is content teaching younger kids.

She could also further her education that would allow her to teacher more ages and grades. She could do this with a master's degree. I see that Ohio University also has a Middle Childhood Education Curriculum for Middle Childhood Education Major. Maybe she could do an extra year and combine this program with ECE.

It appears that you can do just that at Duquense. I read this at: http://www.duq.edu/academics/schools/education/graduate-programs-education/ms-el. Maybe this might be best.

I don't know much about Ohio schools as I went to two in PA. I don't live in PA now but my certification counts since it is permanent.

The best thing to do is find a school and program that is a good fit for your daughter. Don't worry about the wheres and whys of the future. They will happens.

Oh and there is also the option of getting the CDA. http://www.cdacouncil.org/the-cda-credential/introducing-cda-20

Good luck!

Cindy  

Early Childhood Education

Cindy Caporaso