Early Childhood Education/Starting a Preschool

I was looking into starting a preschool in MD.  I was wondering if you had any advice for me.  I have contacted the state of MD to see what licenses I need but thought I'd see if anyone had any advice to give me.  Thank you in advance for any help.

I'm afraid I know very little about regulations and/or standards in Maryland. Giving you such from Pennsylvania could cause confusion as well as contradiction. I would suggest checking out Caring for our Children.  You can download it at nfoc.nrckids.org.  You can also purchase a hard copy.  You can also click on NCR home at the top left of that page and follow link to regulations by state.  You can also get info in books All About ECERS and All About ITERS available at Kaplanco.com.

One suggestion I would strongly encourage - DO NOT combine infants and toddlers in one group. It makes for very difficult operation and will result in extremely high staff turn over.  Infants need their own space away from toddlers (birth to 12 mos). Young toddlers (13 - 24 mos) need their own space and 2 yr olds need theirs. The developmental needs and abilities of these age groups are too wide and too diverse to put all these ages together.

Hope this helps
Good Luck
D. Calkahan

Early Childhood Education

Deborah Callahan

Child Day Care, Profession Training, Environment, some business practices, grants, continuous quality improvement, Environmental Rating Scales, Keystone STARS progam, health and safety

30 years experience as Director of Education in private child care field, professional trainer certified as PQAS (PA Quality Assurance System)for child care practitioners, 3 years experience as Keystone STARS Technical Adviser, 25 years classroom experience

BA Elementary/Early Childhood Education, Marywood University, Scranton, PA Director's Credential PQAS School Age Child Care Certificate over 400 training hours