Early Childhood Education/clean up time

Question
Hello,

You recently posted a question to Sue in category Early Childhood Education:

I work in a daycare setting with 2-3 year olds. We do expect our children to clean up before we go on to a scheduled activity or meal. However, should we expect him to put away the toy he is currently playing with before going on to another toy? For example, he is playing with blocks, then decides he wants to go play in the kitchen area. Should we expect him to put away the blocks before going to play in the kitchen area? As I mentioned we do have a clean-up time when we transition to something else.

Thank you for your help,
Susan

Answer
I think so. The cleaning up of your own area gives the child some ownership to the room as well as letting him/her prepare the area for another child who may want to go there. Now, if something is being built and saved in the block area, then that is different. The teacher can help the child write a note to place in that area where the structure is.

Nice to give a warning for clean-up, too. I tell the children that we are part of a community and that we all help. Again, this increases their sense of belonging and gives them ownership.  

Early Childhood Education

Cindy Caporaso