Early Childhood Education/Giving my students the best I can give them

Question
Hi Cindy, How are you today? :)
I am a first year infant/toddler teacher. I am in WV, but I would assume most basic regulations are the same. I have a book with the infant/toddler framework under broad categories of: Approaches to Learning, Creative Expression, Cognitive, Language/Literacy, Social/Emotional, and Motor. Is there an easy or productive way that I can make sure I am giving my kids all of these and at the most use to them everyday? I am also new to 6 weeks to 24 month classrooms. Any help would be appreciated!

Answer
Hi Dawn,

First, what a caring teacher you must be to ask this! The children in your care are lucky!

Here is my answer and I hope it helps.

Approaches to learning:

Know development of children. Where are they? What are their interests?
Remember their individuals and what you provide must be tailored for each child.
Know their culture. So much diversity today and changing families, know this for each child.

Creativity

Research is indicating that kids are losing this. Technology is part of the reason why...busy lives, another.

Don't give answers all the time. Ask more questions.
Find answers together.
Don't correct.
Accept failure as learning.
Focus on effort, not outcome.
Build trust.
Fill the room with open ended opportunities...games and art! Best place for ideas: Mary Anne Kohl and Creative Curriculum.

Cognitive

Sing a lot!
Count
Listen and name sounds inside and outside
Rather than "her is your cup," say "her is your red cup."
Give choices
Use ordinary objects for play.

Language/Literacy

Talk!
Read!
Label things in the classroom
Take dictation
Make books that mean something to the child
Make class books to send home and return
Engage
Use rich language
Remember emotion words and use them.
Use props in play.
Make signs.

Motor

Practice!
know how skills are developed.
Let them do it....Pour, wash tables, etc
Exercise.
Walking.
Chase games!
Watch me and try this games!
Post pictures and label actions!

Good luck. Have fun..and be yourself. You will be great!

Cindy Caporaso, M.Ed  

Early Childhood Education

Cindy Caporaso