Eastern Orthodox/Coptic Orthodox Canon of Scripture

Question
Hello Ashraf,

My name is DaniŽl Kerolles and despite being of (Coptic) Egyptian origin I was raised a pentecostal Christian.

However,after a bit of research I have decided to convert to the Coptic Orthodox Church. Not because, I disapprove of pentecostalism but because I really feel at home at the Coptic Church.

I have been researching the church a lot, however there still is one issue which I have trouble getting a definitive answer to.

What exactly is the canon of Scripture as accepted by the Coptic Orthodox Church?

I understood that the Copts accepted all 66 books found in Protestant Bibles PLUS the books of : Tobit, Judith, 1&2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Baruch, Sirach, Additions to Daniel and Esther, Letter of Jeremiah, Prayer of Manasseh and Psalm 151.

But I am in doubt about the books of 3 & 4 Maccabees and 1(3) & 2(4) Esdras.

Are you able to give me the official list of the Coptic Orthodox Canon of Scripture?

I am sorry for the long message, but I really want to find this out.

God bless you,

DaniŽl

Answer
Hello DaniŽl,

Thnx much for ur question and welcome back to Coptic Church.

U already know the Coptic Orthodox Canon of Scripture. It includes:

"... all 66 books found in Protestant Bibles PLUS the books of: Tobit, Judith, 1&2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Baruch, Sirach, Additions to Daniel and Esther, Letter of Jeremiah, Prayer of Manasseh and Psalm 151."

you can see a detailed and comparitive list at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_canon

you are always welcome dear brother.

in Christ,
ashraf

Eastern Orthodox

Ashraf Nisseem