Eastern Orthodox/music

Question
Nofri!
Is it true that the Coptic Orthodox Church disslike rock music?

Answer
hi Hank,

thnx much for ur question.

Church teaches us to weigh things and does not weigh them for us. the Holy Bible says: "The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment" 1 Corinthians 2:15

therefore if u r "spiritual" u can judge anything. spiritual means that u r filled with the Holy Spirit. this way u can judge things.

to clear the matter we conclude that the type of music is not a problem as long it is not used or made against God's will e.g. unhealthy to the body and soul, composed to be used in satanic worship, a song that contains profane or satanic lyrics, etc. the real judge is the Holy Spirit inside u. God will give u wisdom to know what is good or evil. the Holy Spirit will fill u when u wholeheartedly love God and obey his commandments and when u keep the fire of the Spirit burning inside u, i.e. through spiritual means like receiving Holy communion, prayer, confession, reading the Holy Bible, etc. this way u get the wisdom to know the good from evil and to follow God's voice inside u.

how to know that is it God who is speaking in u? the voice of God is preceded by prayer and followed by peace. u feel some holy sadness with it as keeps u away from worldly pleasures but it ends with deep happiness when u obey God's will and win the battle against evil.

regarding rock music in particular:
The continuous beat is unhealthy to the body. This is proven by musicians, medical researchers, psychologists...etc. most of these researches were done on Rock music (the origin of most other known secular music) and found to be dangerous to humans with many psychological, emotional, physiological and mental effects. The beat could lead to many impulsive reactions from the audience (uncontrolled screaming and fits, sexual excitation, self hurting, even suicide ideation...etc).

of course not all rock music is the same thing. but in general it has many spiritual problems. St. Paul says: "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Romans 12:2). it is better and more fulfilling to the body and soul to listen to Church music and learn it too. Coptic hymns are so deep and spiritually rich that they can fill u with real happiness.

ur questions and follow ups r always welcome.

in Christ,

ashraf  

Eastern Orthodox

Ashraf Nisseem