Eastern Orthodox/last rites

where can I find a copy of the liturgical text for Eastern Orthodox last rites online?

particularly antiochian
and byzantine rites

Orthodox tradition does not include "last rites", at least not as last rites were traditionally understood by medieval, pre-modern and modern Roman Catholics. There is no extreme unction or other sacramental ceremony specifically performed at—and only at—the death bed. And it is actually forbidden by the canons to give sacraments to a dead body.

Orthodox Christians when near death are usually confessed and communed if possible. Unction (anointing) may be performed. There are also prayers that are said at the departure of the soul from the body. Then there is the First Memorial (Panikida) served the day of the death or at the funeral home, home, or church. Orthodox Chjristians often have friends to stay with the body and read through the Psalter until the funeral. At the Orthodox Funeral (usually 3 days after death) another longer Panikida is served this time with beautiful canons that remind us of our own transient and temporary status in this world and remind us to pray that we and the reposed one may be worthy of the Kingdom of Heaven. And then there is the grave service. On the thirtieth day another Panikida/Memorial Service is held. After that time on the anniversary of the Repose a Pnikida/Memorial Trisaginon is served for the person.

Your servant,

Eastern Orthodox

I can answer general questions about the teachings of the Orthodox Church and Orthodox monasticism, particularly differences from Protestants and Catholics.

Orthodox Christian convert from Protestantism over 30 years ago.

American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Monachos.net Discussion Community http://www.monachos.net/forum/forum.php

1 year seminary training. 30 years research.