Eastern Orthodox/intercession of Lord Jesus christ

As we oriental or eastern orthodox christians believe that, our Lord Jesus christ intercede us to the Father NOW? How?

hi Alex,

thnx much for ur question.

i quote here Pope Shenouda III in his book: "INTERCESSION"

Saint John the Apostle says: "... we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous" (1 John.2: 1) and the Apostle St.Paul says: "For there is one God and one Mediator
between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus" (1 Tim.2: 5).

The mediation of the Lord Jesus Christ is an atonement,which means that He mediates for the forgiveness of our sins, being the Atoner who paid our debts on our behalf. His mediation means that He says to the Father: "Do not count their transgressions because I have carried their iniquity" (Is.53: 6).
Thus He stands as a Mediator between God and men; or rather, He is the only Mediator between God and men; He fulfilled Godís Divine Justice and granted people the forgiveness of sins, by dying for them.

This is what St. John the Apostle meant when he said: "And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our
sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world"(1John.2: 1,2). Here, the atoning mediation is very clear. It is a mediation for the sinner: "If anyone sins", and this sinner needs atonement. The only One who offered this atonement was Jesus Christ the righteous. Hence He can mediate for us through His blood which was shed for us.

The same meaning is given in the words of St. Paul the Apostle about the Lord Jesus Christ being the only Mediator between God and men. He says: "For there is one God and
one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all" (1Tim.2: 5,6). The Lord Jesus Christ mediates for us as the Redeemer who sacrificed
Himself and paid the price of our sins.

This type of mediation is utterly unquestionable. It is attributed to Christ only, whereas the intercessions of the saints has no connection with atonement or redemption. It is intercessions for us to the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

in Christ,

Eastern Orthodox

Ashraf Nisseem

Peace be with you. I am an Egyptian Coptic Orthodox. I can answer questions about the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox beliefs, especially Coptic beliefs.

I have the knowledge to say something useful.

I teach children in my church how to read the Holy Book and other sacred books used in holy services.