Eastern Orthodox/Coptic orthodox marriage

Hi there,
I was wondering if an eastern orthodox (e.g. coptic) can marry a non-orthodox (e.g. catholic or other) without either needing to convert?

Many thanks for your time,

Hi Christine,

thnx for ur question.

Copts are Oriental Orthodox. Eastern Orthodoxy is not the same as Oriental Orthodoxy. they are two church families that are very close to each other but sadly they r not in communion. Copts are allowed to marry Eastern Orthodox without conversion of any of the spouses. other than that Copts are only allowed to marry from an Oriental Orthodox Church:

Eritrean Orthodox Church
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahdo Church
Indian Orthodox Church
Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch
Armenian Orthodox Church

if married to someone out of these Churches the Coptic Church will not recognize the marriage.
ur questions are always welcome.

in Christ,

Eastern Orthodox

Ashraf Nisseem

Peace be with you. I am an Egyptian Coptic Orthodox. I can answer questions about the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox beliefs, especially Coptic beliefs.

I have the knowledge to say something useful.

I teach children in my church how to read the Holy Book and other sacred books used in holy services.