Eastern Orthodox/Is there a priest in the house?

I just came back from a Russian Vespers service. What was unusual about it was that it was conducted without their priest. Not even a deacon was present. I asked someone next to me and he said they were expecting a substitute priest to arrive since theirs is out of town. As it turned out he didn't arrive. In spite of the choir and readers knowing what to do, should a Vespers service continue without a priest?

Christ is Risen!

Yes, since it is not a Eucharist, a "little" Vespers service can be served without a priest, but if done in the Church it should at least have his blessing to do so. There are certain parts of the Vespers service that are omitted if there is no priest to do them, but it is just a Little Vespers not a Great Vespers.

Eastern Orthodox

I can answer general questions about the teachings of the Orthodox Church and Orthodox monasticism, particularly differences from Protestants and Catholics.

Orthodox Christian convert from Protestantism over 30 years ago.

American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Publications Discussion Community

1 year seminary training. 30 years research.