Eastern Orthodox/Signs

Question
Dear brother.

I have been making a request to God for the last few months, almost a year, yet I've seen very little change in the situation, but I have seen some.

I've asked God to show me things, and I always seem to get the same answer, keep praying, be patient, etc.

I often times ask God to send me people to talk to me, and very often he does.

Have you had this experience? It's happened so many times, in different ways, over the last few months, can that be coincidence? Even if it seems normal, it all touches me and tells me to be patient, but I'm also stressed a lot.

Answer
The two greatest virtues are patience and humility. Christians should be ready to accept whatever God sends our way, good or bad, as ultimately for our good. "And we know that ALL things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28). Even the bad, stressful things help us learn patience and humility and therefore work for our salvation, if we let them. Stress is a sign that we have not yet learned to trust God. If we accept that things are happening in accordance with God's will and that these things are working for our salvation, then there is going to be less stress. Through patience and humility, all the other virtues are perfected. Without patience or humility, none of the other virtues can be attained. Everything happens in God's time, not our time.

If you can, I recommend you get a book or two that tells about the lives of the saints. These books help us see how God works in our lives and shows us how to accept and apply what God teaches us through their examples.

May the Peace of Christ our Lord, which is beyond our understanding but given freely to us by His love, be with you and comfort you. May He teach you to accept the trials and tribulations that He sends your way so that you may be perfected, even as steel is made stronger by tempering, and silver made pure by fire.

Your servant,
Herman

Eastern Orthodox

Herman