Eastern Orthodox/ransom

i need to know about the difference bn ransom and redemption and origens teaching about it

hi Tewodros,

thank you for your question.
Redemption means to buy back, to pay a ransom. The ransom is the price paid. Lord Jesus sacrificed himself as an offering to the Holy Father as he says in John 10: 17 says: "For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again."
and also in John 3:16 u can read: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." So the ransom i.e. the price is his own life, as written in Matthew 20:28 "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
The theological meaning of redemption is that our Lord Jesus Christ by dying on our behalf, has freed us from slavery to sin. Our Redeemer has purchased our deliverance by offering Himself as payment for our redemption (Galatians 3:13; Ephesians 1:7; 1 Peter 1:18-19).

in Christ,

Eastern Orthodox

Ashraf Nisseem

Peace be with you. I am an Egyptian Coptic Orthodox. I can answer questions about the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox beliefs, especially Coptic beliefs.

I have the knowledge to say something useful.

I teach children in my church how to read the Holy Book and other sacred books used in holy services.