Eastern Orthodox/Miracles

Dear Ashraf,

Just have a question in regards to how Orthodox view the miracles in the bible. Is it taken more metaphorically or do we actually take them as fact?

If so how do we explain the miracles as fact?

Kind Regards,

Dear Nik,

thank you very much for your question.

miracles in the bible are for real, not metaphors.

Lord Jesus demonstrated the power of God by working miracles. He changed water into wine. He healed the sick. He cleansed the leper. He opened blinded eyes. He stilled the storm. He even raised the dead from the grave.

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written...John 21:25

One clear purpose of miracles was to authenticate the character of Jesus and his relationship with his heavenly Father. In this regard, miracles demonstrate the following: God is with Jesus (John 3:2); Jesus is from God (John 3:2; 9:342-33); God has sent Jesus (John 5:36); Jesus has authority on earth to forgive sins (Mark 2:10-11; Matt. 9:6-7; Luke 5:24-25); Jesus is approved by God (Acts 2:22); the Father is in Jesus and Jesus is in the Father (John 10:37-38; 14:11); in Jesus the kingdom of God has come (Matt. 12:28; Luke 11:20); and Jesus is the Messiah (Matt. 11:1-6; Luke 7:18-23) and the Son of God (Matt. 14:25-33).

in Christ,

Eastern Orthodox

Ashraf Nisseem

Peace be with you. I am an Egyptian Coptic Orthodox. I can answer questions about the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox beliefs, especially Coptic beliefs.

I have the knowledge to say something useful.

I teach children in my church how to read the Holy Book and other sacred books used in holy services.