Eastern Orthodox/Priesthood

Question
My question is about becoming a priest in the Coptic Orthodox Church. My friend recently shared that this is his path and therefore cannot engage in any acts concerning a family and will be taking a vow of celibacy. I wanted to learn more about his faith and protocols on becoming a priest so that I can be more supportive.

Answer
Hi Christina,

thnx for your question.
Coptic Orthodox priests are mostly married if they are not monks.
They usually marry before priesthood as they are not allowed to marry or remarry after ordination.
Maybe he is telling you that he will be a monk and then will become a priest. some monks can become priests, however all monks cannot marry at all.
I think you should get the correct info about the situation so that you can understand it well.

your questions and follow ups are always welcome.

in Christ,
ashraf  

Eastern Orthodox

Ashraf Nisseem