Eastern Orthodox/Can Coptic priest forgive/clear our sins?

QUESTION: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

What makes Coptic Church different from other churches?

ANSWER: Dear Ramy,

A blessed Christmas and a happy new year to you.

your question is very broad. Please rephrase or redefine it so that I can give you a focused answer.

in Christ,

QUESTION: Ok That is fine.  

Can coptic priest forgive/clear our sins? This what I have been told in one of the coptic churches.  They told me God gave him the power to do so

But, But  it is not written in the bible?????

hi Ramy,

Thank you very much for your question.

++Our Lord Jesus Christ founded the Sacrament of Repentance and Confession when He said to His disciples: "Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth, will be loosed in heaven" (Matthew 18:18).

++Also, after the Resurrection the Lord said : ""As the Father sent me, I also send you."  And when He said this He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.  If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them, if you retain the sins of any they are retained"" (John 20:21-23).

Thus He gave them the authority of binding sins or loosing them, through the authority given to them by the Holy Spirit, and according to the contriteness of the confessing person.

Please refer to
if you would like to know more.

in Christ,

Eastern Orthodox

Ashraf Nisseem

Peace be with you. I am an Egyptian Coptic Orthodox. I can answer questions about the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox beliefs, especially Coptic beliefs.

I have the knowledge to say something useful.

I teach children in my church how to read the Holy Book and other sacred books used in holy services.