Eastern Orthodox/The Sovereignty of God

Question
A Calvinistic Protestant would say if Donald Trump becomes president, it is because God put him there based on biblical reference such as Dan.2:21, Rom.13:1, John19:11 EX.9:16 and others. Does our Orthodox church agree?

Answer
The answer quite imply is no. The Holy Orthodox Church does not endorse political candidates. It will only allow that the voter should follow Sacred Scripture in deciding for whom to vote, and for whom not to vote. E.g., the Church would condemn policies of hatred and those that violate the corporal works of mercy. It will not, however, mention by name any candidate who may be violating Scripture. It will only name the practices that the community of Orthodox believers must reject in any politician who is transgressing the teachings of Christ and Scripture.

The notion that God appoints a particular human being campaigning here and now Orthodoxy discounts. In Sacred Scripture (the Old Testament) those that the Lord appointed were anointed by the Lord's prophet. I do most see how Dan. 2:21 and Ex. 9:16, the passages you cite here, are a basis for any belief that the Divine appoints anyone a ruler. The Orthodox believer pays great heed to Matthew 10:31, where Christ instructs us that Divine Providence works all things towards a good. The most holy Creator watches everything that occurs and provides that no matter what the evil He shall prevail. Rulers come and go, and He oversees His people so that no ruler who countermands His ways shall ever put His people, or Him, to flight or end.

Eastern Orthodox

Chrysostomos Robert Geis