Eastern Orthodox/Sergius Bulgakov

Question
I read an article about Sergius Bulgakov.  His view that we will be able to repent even after death sounds intriguing.  Is Bulgakov's views seen as orthodox or heretical by the Orthodox Church?  Thank you.

Answer
Without getting too into the weeds here the straightforward answer to your question is that Bulgakov's view is alien to Holy Orthodoxy. In the 1930s his writings were condemned in an ukaz. Repentance of one's earthly deeds is not possible in the after life. God rewards or punishes as we lived out our life in this body that we now have as living human beings. Repentance must be undertaken in this life, then. This why Scripture keeps admonishing us that our days are numbered (Job 14:5-7; Psalm 39:4).

Eastern Orthodox

Chrysostomos Robert Geis