Economics/Co-operative society

Will you please describe the formation, function, advantages and disadvantages of a Co-operative  society.

I thank you very much for selecting allexperts forum to get an answer for your question. I specially thank you for selecting me.

People of similar interest,  properties, crops or  assets etc.. can join and form a cooperative society.  The features are joint and group effort for development.

Example : Milk cooperative society is formed by those own cows, Cooperative housing society is formed by those who wish to build a colony to live, weavers can join and form a Weaving cooperative society.

It is a legal entity with limited liability.  Each member holds shares proportional to their contribution. The Registrar of Cooperative society in each state controls the units. Government extends soft loans with  easy installments and low interest. Banks also extend loans at favourable interest based on their projects and performance.

Merits : Easy to form. Low cost. No income tax. Exist can for a long period. Democratic management (Each member has a voice and vote). Similar profession and interest brings new ideas.

Demerits :  Shares are not transferable. Cooperation among members holds the society. If dispute arises, it  is dangerous for the existence. Low motivation. Secrecy is low.

Co-operative societies all over the world produce ans supply essential goods at very competitive prices.

With Regards.
Book Sore :
Web :  

Basically a B.Sc (Physics) from the University of Madras, India. Started the career in production engineering under German and Italian experts. MBA in Management from IIM, Ahmedabad (India). Ph.D (Management) from the University of Bomaby (the first ever awarded in this subject). Headed the computer centres of Multi nationals; "Data Processing expert" of the Commonwealth, London (To implement World Bank and UNDP Computer softwares); "Consultant Adviser" to the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), Barbados. Associated with Nobel Laureate in Economic Science-1979, Arthur Lewis (Past President of CDB) & 4 more on his introduction. Visiting professor to many universities. A Trained ISO 9001:2000 Quality Auditor. Over 40 years of combined experience in Accounts, Computer Software, Economics, Engineering, Management, Science, Technology, Research & Development and Qulaity systems. Author of over 60 Application Research papers. Currently a free-lance consultant in ISO Quality Systems, Socio-Economic development acceleration, Innovative software designs. Can answer any question in Theoritical/Applied-economics with an in-depth and innovative dimension. I DO NOT ANSWER : 1. STATISTICAL data & analysis. 2. PRIVATE questions, as they do not appear for PUBLIC view & search 3. Examination & Project report oriented questions. Website

Experience in the area Over 40 years in Industrial, Service and Economic development sectors. Socio-economic development oriented expertise (1982-86). With Commonwealth Fund for Technical Cooperation, London as a "Data Processing Expert". With Caribbean Development Bank, Barbados (UNDP,World bank set up) as a "Cnsultant Adviser". See "" and "". National & International awards. R & D Author at and

Intellectual Consultants. A proprietory Research and Development unit under the theme "Innovation. Information & New Concepts"

See at &

See full details at (1) D.Litt in Computer Science - 1983. World University, USA. (2) Ph.D - 1975. First management doctorate awarded by the University of Bombay, India, after the inception of the subject. (3) MBA 1966. IIM, Ahmedabad. India. First batch. 4) B.Sc - 1959. Physics. University of Madras, India

Biography is listed in International Who is Who of Intellectuals (UK), Men of Achievement ( UK ), Men of Distinguished Contributions (USA). National and International awards and Citations.

See at