Economics/Credit Union Deposit Insurance

Question
Mr. Miller you do have high credentials, so this may be a stupid question to you. I am not familiar with credit unions. I want to put some money in a share term certificate. They say your money is NCUA insured by the government to a certain amount. Is there a place I can go/ or should I go to make sure they are insured like they claim? Or do I just believe them when they say that?
All advice would be helpful.

Answer
First things first, if you don't mind, Jerry: "Mr. Miller" was my Dad. :-)

Now that we have that taken care of [ :-) ], thank you for your inquiry and your affirming words. I'll be glad to help. With luck, this will be as straightforward and clear-cut as it seems to be, now that I've looked into it. I hope you will click here , read what's there, and let me know if that information assuages your concerns. If it doesn't, I'll be glad to take another swing at this particular piņata.

If this does the job, I'd appreciate it if you'd be kind enough to complete the rate-the-expert e-mail you'll receive on the heels of this reply. Your ratings and, especially, your written comments help me do a better job of helping folks like you who ask such interesting questions. Yours was especially interesting because it was an area that I'd never gotten a question about before. Thanks for raising it. Please post again any time, Jerry.

Take care--

Warren

Economics

Warren D. Miller, CFA, CPA, ASA