Economics/Stock market as part of money supply

Question
Dear Warren,
Why isn't the stock market or the bond market part of the money supply (M0, M1, M2, or M3)? Or is the market capitalization of these markets already part of the broadest money supply?

Answer
Hi, Choo--

"The stock market" (there's not just one of those, you know) isn't part of the money supply because the stocks are not money. They are not legal tender--that is, the government has not mandated that they be accepted as payment for debts. And the government has not done that for good reason. Let's explore what "money" is since I believe that's probably at the core of your question.

Money has three functions. It is a medium of exchange . It is a store of value . And, most important for this discussion, it is a unit of account . A unit of account is a standard monetary measurement of the value of assets, liabilities, goods, and services. We say that a company gross $X billion of annual revenues. We couldn't do that if we substituted "stocks" for "$," could we? And we couldn't because the "value" of a given stock fluctuates, sometimes from second to second.

And how would we express the value? If, say, a 2013 Lexus ES-350 was for sale, would the price be "20 stocks"? "35 bonds"? Or what? And what exactly is "1 stock"? How many euros does "1 stock" equal?

If we try to convert the value of the stock to, say, dollars--which completely defeats the idea of a unit of account--how would we determine how much a stock was worth? Would that be before or after commissions and regulatory fees? And, since commissions are not standard, that were be vast inconsistencies that would make the use of stocks and bonds very inefficient and burdensome to any economy. We'd be returning to the days of barter. If you know anything about the liquidity of non-government bonds, the problem of inefficiency would be even greater for them. Just determining a price (forget accrued interest) can be a heckuva problem since most non-government bonds don't trade very often and, when they do, just finding a price can be a challenge.

Hope this is helpful, Choo. Please do me the favor of completing the rate-the-expert e-mail you'll receive on the heels of this reply. Your ratings and, especially, your written comments help me do a better job of answering people like you who ask such interesting questions. Thanks for your inquiry, and Happy New Year to you.

Warren

Economics

Warren D. Miller, CFA, CPA, ASA