Economics/Costs of living

Question
Dr. Warren D. Miller,

I studied economics before but thereīs a topic which is not clear to me and Iīd like to have your opinion/view about it:

What drives different "costs of living" between different countries and, even, between different cities in a same country?

What factors could make a city "more valuable" than others? Why do some companies pay considerably higher rents to locate themselves in certain cities?

Could that be because: workers are more productive in some cities than others? (I find it hard to relate, however, higher "costs of living" with higher productivity); there are benefits in terms of transportation costs? other valuable factors? In which way would these factors affect prices (and, consequently, "costs of living)?

[another but related question]: I have this idea that higher "costs of living" are usually related to services and not physical goods (In a supermarket I donīt think prices will differ that much), but I would also appreciate any thoughts about this.

This is a very general question but I extended it in order to make it more understandable. Iīll appreciate any answer, specially because I donīt think thereīs a unique answer to my question.

Thank you for reading

Answer
Luis, I'm sorry, but your question is too general for me to respond to. It would take a VERY long time. Inasmuch as I'm an unpaid volunteer with a family to support, I simply cannot afford the dozens of hours that it would take to answer this question.

I will make you a deal, however: I'm going to suggest some phrases that you should Copy (Ctrl+C) and then Paste (Ctrl+V) into your browser, one at a time. When you get the first one in there, hit the Enter key. Then start clicking on the first few 'hits' that you get. Read each one. You will learn from each. Then Copy and Paste the second phrase, hit Enter , and then start clicking and reading. As you look at the results for each search, be sure to zero in on sources such as: Wikipedia, Investopedia, Money.cnn.com, and www.econlib.org.

When you're done doing that on each of the following phrases, THEN resubmit your question, but make it more specific, based on what you've learned as a result of what I call 'creative googling.' DO NOT ask more than one question at a time. I will do my best to answer each one. But you must make them specific, not general. What you asked for tonight is simply out of the quesiton. That's not fair to my family or to me, esp. when you can do a lot to help yourself first . That's what I'm trying to do: help you learn to help yourself.

There's an old saying, Chinese, I think: "If you give a fish to a hungry man, he will eat it and get hungry again in a few hours. If you teach a man to fish, he can feed himself for the rest of life." I'm in the teaching business, Luis. If you're in the learning business and are willing to help yourself, we'll get along just fine here.

The phrases I recommend (one at a time, Luis):

"cost of living"

"What causes differences in cost of living?" (read the first three hits, all @ Wisegeek.com)

"purchasing power parity"

"cost of living" and "standard of living" (Copy/Paste both at the same time - check the two links to HayekCenter.org and Wisegeek.com)

Those four should be enough for you to learn quite a lot. If you run into problems, post a question telling me how I can help you better. When you're done, please submit a narrower question.

Take care, and good luck, Luis!!

Economics

Warren D. Miller, CFA, CPA, ASA