Economics/money from an inheritance

Question
Hello.  My question is in regards to money that is receivedby inheritance, through the death of a relative. My dads brother passed away 2 years ago, and left substantial money to his remaining 2 brothers.  Now that my dad has received his share, he wishes to share an amount of 150,000.00 with me.

The question is....Does any money that he gifts to me, from a non-taxable estate, become taxable income, that I would be required to pay taxes on? Common sense would tell me "no", but I also was told it is.

Can you help in this matter? Thanks for your time.

Answer
Scott, I'm sorry. Although I'm a CPA, I wouldn't be caught dead doing my own tax return. You need to talk to a CPA who does tax returns for a living. If you'll e-mail me privately--cfa2005 (at) gmail (dot) com--and tell me what city you live in, I might be able to suggest someone who can help you.

I can tell you that there is an annual limit to the amount of assets that one person can give to another without filing a gift-tax return. $150K is more than ten times that limit. There may be a way (or ways) to do what your Dad wants to do without it having tax consequences. In light of the money at stake and the potential taxes that would attend giving it to you in a lump-sum, buying an hour or two of a good CPA's time would be well worth it. Don't be cheap and short-sighted about this. There are good ways to save money, and there are bad ways. Those who do not know the Internal Revenue Code backwards and forwards "save money" in the most expensive ways imaginable when they decide to go it alone on this kind of stuff. If you do that, you'll wish you'd tried cordless bungee-jumping instead.

Hope I'm being helpful here. It's the best I can do because, at the end of the day, I don't know the answer to your question. But I do know a situation that requires a tax expert when I see one, and yours is it.

Please send me that e-mail.  

Economics

Warren D. Miller, CFA, CPA, ASA