Economics/Average Total Cost (ATC) vs. Marginal Cost (MC)

Question
QUESTION: ATC is U-shaped.Intially this curve tends to fall and after reaching minimum point,it begins to rise.

ANSWER: Great, Hemlata. We're almost there. . .although I wish you had chosen 'Reply to this Question' rather than providing your answers in the form of a new question - that will make it VERY HARD for people in the future to learn anything.

Now let me ask two questions:

#4: Why does the ATC curve fall initially?

#5: Why does the ATC curve then begin to rise "after reaching (its) minimum point?

Warren

QUESTION: ATC falls intially because of increasing returns to a factor.It is due to Law of variable proportion.it states that intially MP(Marginal product) of variable factor tends to rise.It means more of output per every additional unit of L[let labour(L) be variable factor].it implies an increase in MP.you will find that ultimately it means cost of the variable factor(L) per unit of output(AVC) tends to fall.Exactly opposite in the situation when diminishing returns are in operation.A.C=AVC+AFC.AFC falls as output increases.
Thus,intially falling AFC combines with falling AVC to cause falling AC.The extent of falling of AFC tends to be very small so that it no longer obstructs the pace of rising AC(due to rising AVC) to some extent.
Conclusion- AC (along with AVC) tends to be U-Shaped in accordance with the law of variable proportions.
And I want to inform you that last time in your website the option of 'follow up question' was not coming.so,i choose to ask question separately.
Thanks

ANSWER: Hemlata, I do not answer questions that are marked 'Private'. Had you read  my profile on AllExperts.com, you'd know that. Obviously you don't understand--or you choose to ignore--the economic implications that your choice imposes on me: It sets me up to have to respond to the same questions from other people. Inasmuch as I'm an unpaid volunteer, I wouldn't be much of an expert in economics if I allowed myself to have my time--which is my inventory--squandered by an absolute stranger like you, would I?

Therefore, here's the deal: Either you agree to make this conversation public, or we're done. Take your pick, please: Which do you prefer?

WDM

QUESTION: I had not marked my question as 'private'.plz clear your misunderstanding.I also want to make the question public so that users can get benefitted from it.
Anyway,i request you to answer my question as soon as possible.

Answer
Thank you, Hemlata. I was flabbergasted when the question came in showing Private: Yes . Glad we're on the same page here.

Now, as you rightly described, the ATC curve is U-shaped. On the left side, MC < ATC, so the curve is downward-sloping. On the right side, it's just the opposite. Therefore, in order for MC = ATC to occur, the MC line must intersect the ATC curve at the latter's lowest point. Otherwise, ATC will be either rising or falling, won't it?

If this doesn't make sense, please reply and tell me what's not making sense. I will try to make it clearer. . .although, to be honest, I'll have a hard time doing that. But I'll certainly try.

If this all does make sense, however, please do me the favor of completing the rate-the-expert e-mail you'll receive on the heels of this reply. Your ratings--and, especially, your comments--help me do a better job of helping folks like you who ask such interesting questions!

Take care, and please post again any time. And thank you for persevering through this Socratic process. I hope you learn more--much more--than you would have learned had I just answered your question.

All the best--

Warren Miller, CFA, CPA

Economics

Warren D. Miller, CFA, CPA, ASA