Economics/IRR and Interest Expenses and VAT

Question
My question may border on minutia, my apologies ahead of time. Firstly, I understand the difference between Accounting Cash Flows vs Economic Cash Flows (I hope).  When calculating a project's Pre-Tax (Income Tax# IRR I know NOT to include any Interest and Capital payments #debt service)as outflows, however, we have a VAT system here and the VAT is applied to the Interest payments.  When I calculate the Economic Cash Flow I usually DO include the VAT's Debit/Credit Year End differential, should I "Back Out" the VAT paid on the Interest expense? Should I even consider the VAT in a Pre-Tax Economic Cash Flow (IRR Calculation)?
Many Thanks.

Answer
Well, Bernhard, you raise some interesting issues. I know the answer to one (but have to raise a question with you), and I know that a second needs to be corrected, but I don't know the answer to the third. Let me take these in sequence.

1. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as "Pretax IRR." I guess it's possible, so, for the sake of this dialogue, let's assume that it is. But why? Why is it Pretax?

2. No IRR analysis includes (a) Interest or (b) debt service. The object of IRR is economics, not how the project is financed. Where the IRR is concerned, financing is moot. That is why taxes are figured on EBIT, not Pretax Income. You want to know the economics of the project . Period. Forget how it's financed. That's irrelevant for the purposes of the project's IRR computation. . .but not, of course, for the purposes of projecting cash needs . Those are two separate and unrelated analyses . Please confirm that you understand what that is. Of course, if you don't understand, please say so, but also say what you don't understand.

3. I've never dealt with a situation where there is a VAT. However, I know a couple of colleagues who might have. Let me query them off-line, and I'll circle back to you. . .after I hear your reply to my question in #1 and my request in #2 above, please, sir.

Take care, and thanks for raising interesting issues.

Warren

Economics

Warren D. Miller, CFA, CPA, ASA