Economics/Macroeconomics

Question
How is the Rupee-dollar exchange rate determined?How does a depreciation of the Indian Rupee affect oil prices?

Answer

THE FIRST PART OF YOUR QUESTION
Indian rupee-dollar exchange rate is determined by the demand for and supply of commodities traded in the international market.

If the demand for Indian goods increases, foreigners have to pay more in Indian currency. That means the importing nations have to buy Indian currency in the foreign-exchange market. As the demand for Indian currency in turn goes up, the exchange ratio of Indian rupee to dollar goes up. That means the demand curve showing the demand for Indian currency as a function of dollar [measured in a positive quadrant of rupee,dollar plane]shifts to the right, and the exchange rate (measured up the vertical axis) goes up. On the other hand, the Indian demand for foreign commodities falls, there is a decrease in the foreign-exchange market of India's demand for dollars. This leads to a downward shift of the demand curve, and the exchange rate falls.

This is also related to the supply of exportable commodities. When production rises, triggering an increase in supply, the upward-sloping supply curve on a quantity,price plane shifts to the right, causing a fall in price of such commodity. This leads to a fall in the foreign-exchange ratio, by which Indian rupee depreciates. It may also be mentioned that, when the currency of a country depreciates, its exports increases. Conversely, when there is appreciation, exports falls. By the same token, invoking a reverse logic, we can say, as production of exportable commodities increases and hence as export increases, exchange rate falls, and vice versa.

THE SECOND PART OF YOUR QUESTION
The depreciation of Indian rupee will make imported commodities dearer. This so because the Indians have to pay in Indian rupees, and they have now to pay a larger sum of Indian rupees for the sum of pre-depreciation amount of dollars. Imported oil prices will go up. This will also exert a derived effect on India-produced oil. Even if depreciation is not supposed to impact domestic prices, home-produced oil may register a derived increase in price of oil domestically produced.

One thing should be borne in mind clearly. The international oil prices are less likely to be affected by depreciation of Indian currency. The OPEC market is basically influenced by international demand, and Indian demand for oil forms only a fraction of the total world demand for oil.

I hope this serves your purpose. I have tried to explain these matters as simply as possible, without the use of financial math, such as elasticities and foreign-exchange multiplier, etc. Best of luck in your pursuit.

Economics

Eklimur Raza