Economics/oecd

Question
Sir.  I have a doubt.
Impoverished Turkey is a developed country. While ultra rich Brunei, Dubai, Singapore, Taiwan and  South Korea  are developing  countries. How so?
Please answer,
yours, Jose. India  

Answer
Hi Jose,

Thank you for posing this very ticklish question of development economics.

You are very much right to question, from the angle of wealth and income, the validity of the point that Turkey, which is impoverished, may be construed as a developed country, while countries where there are people with very high incomes, such as Brunei or Dubai, are designated as developing countries.

Your question, on the face of it, appears quite legitimate. However, if we take a harder look at what the terms "developed" and "developing" imply --that is to say, what the real dichotomy between these two terms confronts us in development economics --then this apparent anomaly in designations of economies in terms of development may become clear. Let me begin with a preview of what we mean by "development."

When economists say a country is developed, they mean the economy is measured in different yardsticks: the important ones, often considered, come out something like:

(a) how technologically developed and independent the country is [by technology we mean the way production takes place on the basis of techniques of production (proportions of factors used)];
(b) how much the population of the country has overall information, scientific and otherwise; i.e., what the average level of information or knowledge is;
(c) what is the productivity per head of the people in the country?;
(d) is the productivity per capita sustainable, esp. in the long run?

So, the U.S. or Japan or France or Australia across four continents are "developed" in the senses as above. Take the case of Brunei.

There are some very rich people, no doubt. But what about the majority of the people. The income distribution is extremely skewed. [Of course, American income distribution is also skewed, but by American standards, an average poor American many times richer than a poor guy in Brunei.] The per-capita productivity of the people of Brunei is also very low. This goes all over Arabian peninsula --too many people are living like primitive people. Technologically, these countries are behind Turkey.

However, on the basis of the above, Singapore is more developed than, say Brunei.

You may be surprised why Taiwan and South Korea, which are also technologically developed, do not come within the purview of "developed" countries. It is again we have to consider the country "as a whole" with its "total population" and its "production per person." Too many people are wallowing in poverty, with very little education, having little exposure to technology, while no doubt few people are producing even cars. When we talk of "development," we need to view that across the country in the light of those few implications mentioned above about what may determine how far a country is on the path of development.

One caveat: This demarcation of "developed countries" is based on subjective reasoning and must not be considered "water-tight definitions."

I hope this answers your question. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best.  

Economics

Eklimur Raza