Economics/economics

Question
Sir,

USA buy LNG gas at US dollar 3 per thousand cubic feet from Qatar. While India pay US dollar 10 for the same quantity to Qatar.
Why so?
Hope your prompt response,
Jose,India.

Answer
Hi Jose,

Thank you very much for the question.

When the U.S. and India buy gas from the same country, the selling country uses an economic discriminatory policy known as "price discrimination." In addition, prices in the two countries are determined by a couple other factors:

1. Trade relations and trade agreements
2. Cost of transportation
3. Mutual political considerations
4. The amount of gas sold per unit time

There is actually an existence of price discrimination. A monopolist (Qatar is in true economic sense not a monopolist but an oligopolist, but for all practical purposes a large seller may be construed as a monopolist in a broad sense) can sell the same product to two different markets at two different prices if two things exist: (a) there are different elasticities of demand for the same product in the two markets in question --price will be higher for the market which has lower elasticity than for the market that has higher elasticity; and (b) if no resale of the product from one market to the other is possible. Other than gas, for example, the same Microsoft software is sold for $400 in Canada while for only about $150 in the U.S.Though on the face of it the demand for gas in India and in the U.S. is both inelastic, the U.S. has relatively higher elasticity than that of India because of its agreements with other major oil producers like Saudi Arabia, and high elasticity of demand means the seller has to give in more.

There is also a hidden political relationship between Qatar and the U.S. which facilitates good deals.

I hope this serves as a prompt response for the question you have, and on that basis you can have further investigation to get your answer.

Best of luck in your studies.

Economics

Eklimur Raza