Economics/exchange rate

Question
Sir,
I have an odd question.
Countries often devalue their currencies against US dollar. Can the reverse be done? An example.
Can India overvalue/appreciate its rupee against dollar from one US dollar = 62 Indian rupees to one dollar =57 Indian rupees?
Hope your kind response. Jose, India.
Ps. Due to net error I couldn’t thank you for your earlier reply on
“USA buy LNG gas at US dollar 3 per thousand cubic feet from Qatar. While India pay US dollar 10 for the same quantity to Qatar.”
Sorry.

Answer
Hi Jose,
This is of course NOT an odd question. This is a genuine economics question. The only difference is this is very, very rare in today's world. But it is not impossible.

This very phenomenon you have mentioned is called "appreciation of money" or, officially, "revaluation" of currency.

Yes, a country can do that. But then here are some implications.

First, when a currency is officially changed into value in terms of international currency, such as Rs 62=$1 to Rs 57=$1, this could mean Indian currency has gained value internationally for trade and commerce. However, domestically, it may have little impact.

Second, as rupee value is raised, there will be a big impact on international trade of India. Foreigners have to pay for goods imported from India in Indian currency. That means they have to buy Indian currency in foreign exchange markets. They have to pay higher amount in terms of their currency than previously what they used to pay (before Indian currency was appreciated). To the foreign countries, this in real terms means prices of Indian goods (measured in their currencies) has gone up. The simple theory of demand tells us that the demand for Indian goods in foreign market must fall. As a result, Indian exports will fall. How much India will lose or gain now depends upon relative elasticities of demand. Elasticity is likely to be high, since demand has gone down. Chances are there are losses though exports.

Third, Indians have to pay for imported good in foreign currency. Indians will have to buy foreign currency in the foreign exchange market. Now that they have to pay LESS of Indian currency than they used to pay for the same amount of foreign currency, to the Indians the price of a foreign product has in real terms fallen. That means imported goods are now cheaper to the Indians with the unchanged amount of rupees in their wallet. The law of demand states that, as price of a product falls, other things remaining the same, the demand for the product will go up [unless otherwise it is a zero-elastic product like medicine]. So Indian imports go up.You can buy a Toyota relatively more cheaply than an Ambassador!

From the "Second" and "Third" reasons above, we conclude that, as Indian currency value is on the upgrade, exports go down and imports go up. This may be expressed as under:

NX = CHANGE IN EXPORTS - CHANGE IN IMPORTS < 0

That is, net exports or NX falls. The balance of payments has undergone a change.

Now the question crops up, if appreciation of currency in a country causes net exports to fall, will a country ever resort to such strategy? Sometimes a country may have to take such measures to deal with balance-of-payments problems. For example, the Indian government may decide to restrict exports (of certain goods which may form the bulk in trade) and foster imports (there was a time no Indian could drive a foreign car or use foreign products, and now foreign cars are plying in the Orley Drive in Mumbai like hell). There may be some good policy reasons for that. This is more a technical field of international economics. Advanced math, including calculus, may be used to treat of such theories.

I hope, Jose, this gives the answer you wanted.
Best.  

Economics

Eklimur Raza