It has been recently stated that the US economy has had 15 consecutive quarters of growth (there are numerous sources, if you google it you can see many).  However, when I look at a GDP graph of quarter to quarter growth in GDP Q1 2011 was negative.  So my question is how are they coming up with 15?

I'm sure the answer is simple and I'm sorry if it seems like a silly/obvious question and answer, I just don't understand how they keep saying 15.

Thank you!

Thank you for your query. However, without looking at the source you mention and at the data, it wouldn't be possible to give you a correct answer. What pops in my mind is seasonality adjustments. But, as I say, without the source or data, I cannot give you an answer.

I will be happy to answer questions related to applied economics. i.e. economics applied to small businesses and on our day to day existence.

over 25 years of experience in economics, both as an academic and in the field.

Masters in Economics, Masters in Public Administration