Economics/Thesis on Groundwater in India

Question
Dear Sir
I am working on my thesis that is based on a project titled "Understanding the magnitude of tanker based economy and its implications on water resources: A study of water tanker market in Peri-Urban Area." My study area lies in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.

My research question are based on the following line:

1. What does the analysis of past 50 year depth to groundwater level of the area offers on a Basin level?
2. What is the status of groundwater particularly in those watersheds where the fluctuations have been high.

I was unable to do a detailed field work, where I had to find out number of private tankers operating in the basin and mapping of location where they get the water from.

I am having difficulty in building my literature review on these lines. Can you please help me structure my lit. review for my study. I am trying to make it interdisciplinary. Supposedly following the lines of Ecological economics, socio-economic and socio hydrology. Can you please suggest me few reads. Please help me as I am completely lost.

Thanking You.

Sana

Answer
Dear Sana--

I am sorry that you're having such a tough time. When you say you're working on your 'thesis,' I'm assuming that it's either at the master's or the doctoral level. In either case, there should be a faculty member who can help you. That's part of what your tuition is paying for--help in situations just like this one.

FWIW, I would also offer you the thought that 'interdisciplinary' research is difficult on any level. The scholars I know who do such research (a) have PhDs, (b) are tenured faculty members, and (c) have many years of research experience. Even then, it's a very hard slog. Therefore, one thing I would suggest to you is to narrow and simplify your research questions.

Speaking of which, I think that Research Question #2 is especially problematic. I'm troubled by the word 'status' - it's broad, imprecise, and ambiguous. Especially for someone who is new to conducting independent research, as I suspect you might be, 'broad,' 'imprecise,' and 'ambiguous' are three attributes that you should seek to avoid in the wording of any Research Question.

That said, when I read Research Question #1, it doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand 'to groundwater level,' 'offers', and 'a Basin level'.

If, for some reason, you cannot access a scholar at the institution you're attending, you should do 'key-word searches' at Google Scholar and also at the Social Science Research Network. If you're not yet registered w/SSRN, you'll need to do that. It's free, so don't worry about having to pay anything.

FWIW, I just went to Google Scholar and searched on the word groundwater . What I found was interesting, at least to me, who knows nothing about the area of your research. Here are links to the first three 'hits' that appeared from my search: click here; then here; and finally here.

Finally, if you need to discuss this further, please e-mail me off-line: cfa2005@gmail.com . I'd appreciate knowing if those three links in the preceding paragraph were at all helpful. I look forward to hearing from you directly and hope that what I've offered here is helpful. Please note that I have narrowed the title of your question because 'Thesis' is just too-too broad for those who might be looking for help on a similar topic.

I hope this is helpful, Sana. Do let me here directly from you, please.

Economics

Warren D. Miller, CFA, CPA, ASA