Economics/Escalator Limitations.

Question
Dear Prof Raza

Are there Escalator Limitations regarding it is not recommended above a certain height for Security reasons?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hi Prashant,

Thank you for posing this question. I am not an expert in these lines, and an engineer expert may better explain of the "limitations." However, with my little knowledge, I would like to place the following.

First, escalators have some advantages and disadvantages, supposing these are working smoothly without any electricity outage.

ADVANTAGE: Escalators are continuous. Nobody has to wait for the elevator to come and pick him or her up. There is no rush, and there is nobody trying to go ahead of the other for urgency.

DISADVANTAGES: Escalators are usually slower. This is fine for going up one  or two levels. But for going up many levels elevators are far better, quicker and easier.

Secondly, escalators have the disadvantage of carrying materials, pushing a grocery cart (unless otherwise specially designed ones such as in Wall-Mart), and the like.

Thirdly, running escalators is very expensive relative to maintaining elevators. For a rich country like Canada or the U.S., where continuous electricity supply is also ensured, this may not be a problem. However, in a country like India, other than in limited cases, it could be a costly luxury.

As far as height restrictions, I don't think this is any problem. The only problem in costly setup as well as costly use of space. For example, in Sheraton Hotel in Canada you may have escalators running a couple of floors, the height of each floor would be about three times that of the ceiling-to-floor height of an ordinary building. General Motors Head Office in Detroit has floors after floors connected with escalators. However, usually there are elevators to go along with the escalators.

Besides, even if escalators were allowed for several levels, especially when too much traffic is not envisaged, use of elevators can obviate the round-about use of escalators. It would be both tiring and time-consuming if one had to go to the 80th floor of Empire State Building in New York, even if sometimes people have to stand in queue.

Further, big and continuous business requiring heavy traffic is usually done on the first few floors, and there escalators are fine. Say for up to 5 floors in a Sear's complex, you may use escalators, even though very few people would like to take elevators.

So, while there does not seem to be any restrictions on the construction of elevators as to height or levels, the very inconvenience that comes up naturally beyond certain limit may not make it a better proposition to construct elevators.

I hope, Prashant, this gives you some idea about how you may further proceed with your excellent area of study. My best wishes for your success!  

Economics

Eklimur Raza