Economics/Lift or Escalator for Metrorail.

Question
Dear Prof Raza

Which will be a better Choice for Metrorail?.

Is it Lift or Escalator?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

I have already given an answer to use of escalator. This question of yours is rather simpler.

In Metrorail, you normally do not have to have building with more than 3 or 4 levels, usually including one or two basement (underground) levels in some countries like the U.S. or Canada.

In view of the above, escalator installment and maintenance would pose no problem. There may as well be lifts (elevators). However, owing to the constant traffic and the hectic nature of traffic, escalators are better option.Of course, when helping passengers with disability is concerned, lifts may go in tandem.

On the whole, my vie is that Escalator is a better option [though elecricity cost may be a concern in countries like India].

I hope this explains your query.

Best of luck, Prashant.

Economics

Eklimur Raza